These photos were taken on March 4, 2011 using an Olympus E-30 (1-2) and Sony DSC-TX5 (3), presumably in Mexico.
In 1925 a society called “Down with Shame” was organised and legally registered. The members of the society undertook not to wear any clothes, and by way of propaganda some of them were sent on tour. One of the groups was proceeding via Moscow, Kharkov, Rostov, Mineral Waters. I saw them with my own eyes, when they were in Rostov-on-Don. I was passing near the Pokrovsky Market at the corner of Friedrich Engels Street and Bogatianovsky Street when I saw a man and a woman absolutely naked standing near a stationary tram. Even the savages of the Polynesian Archipelago wear some kind of cache sex, but this couple only wore a kind of sash, and that across their shoulders! It was a red ribbon with the slogan: “Down with the bourgeois superstition – shame.” In justice to the woman I must add that she also carried a kind of handbag in her hand! While I was looking at them, overcome by astonishment, a crowd assembled, and also a few militiamen to protect the naked couple.The crowd, among which were many people from the market, market girls, etc., were pelting them with tomatoes, eggs, and stones. But when the tram got moving the naked couple triumphantly entered it. In a second the disgusted passengers began to pour out. Once more the tram got under way in a hail of apples, stones, eggs, and similar missiles, empty now except for the naked man and woman and the unfortunate victim of duty, the conductor. About an hour later, when passing the General Post Office, I saw a huge crowd demanding the extradition of the representatives of the “Down with Shame” society. It appears that, fleeing from the wrath of the crowd, they took refuge in the post office. The Communist “cell” of the post office gave them some clothes and let them out by a back door. Such was the effect they produced in the city of Rostov. They produced a much greater disturbance and scandal in other cities. The Soviet powers, seeing that this kind of propaganda was not only abortive but threatened the “people without shame” with lynching, quietly liquidated the society after about a month, and abandoned the attempt.
Source: Moscow unmasked: a record of nine years’ work and observation in soviet Russia by Joseph Douillet. Translated from the Russian by A. W. King. Published 1930 by The Pilot press in London.
Comment: Joseph Douillet (1878-1954) was a Belgian diplomat to the USSR known as the author of Moscou sans Voiles: Neuf ans de travail au pays des Soviets (Moscow Unmasked: A Record of Nine Years Work in Soviet Russia) published in 1928. He lived in Russia from 1891 to 1926. He served as the Belgian consul in Rostov-on-Don. It has been said that he “had spent so long in the country that he was almost more Russian than Belgian.” In 1925 he was arrested in the USSR and was imprisoned for nine months before being expelled from the country. (Joseph Douillet – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Joseph Douillet could hardly be suspected of any sympathy for communist Russia. I’ve heard from an eyewitness that the reaction of the public wasn’t so extreme. Town folks were rather surprised than angry, at least in Ukraine. What is without any doubt is that the normal development of naturist movement was voluntarily interrupted by the communist authorities.
Nowadays it begins to recover, even in Siberia.
Images: Boris Kustodiev’s painting “Bathing” (1921) – Wikimedia Commons
Unofficial nude beach at the Novosibirsk Reservoir, near Akademgorodok by Obakeneko – Wikimedia Commons
(This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license)
More than a year ago the German tabloid Bild has admitted that nudists do not confine themselves to nude beaches or nudist campings – the time has come for nudist sport. All activities mentioned in the article successfully survived to our days.
FKK-Sport: Nacktradeln, Nacktwandern, FKK-Golf & Co. – Lifestyle – Bild.de
Naked sports booming in the sizzling summer heat!
Naturist Golf Resort “La Jenny” in France | Gorilla Golf Blog
la Jenny – Golf
World Naked Bike Ride
World Naked Bike Ride (WNBR) – Naked Bicycle People Power!
Carrera Nudista de Sopelana
Here is a some kind of my personal nudist news digest for a time I was absent from my blog.
1. From Pro Golf Talk on NBCSports.com I’ve noticed that at the end of March during the European Golf Tour played in Andalucia, Spain, some players probably were disappointed seeing “a little bit more than they bargained” since a course “was adjacent to a nude beach”. But at least “all of the competitors were clothed”. The Swedish Kalskog GK is reported to go further allowing “nudists to tee it up at their course this year”. The representative of the golf club is quoted to say: “We aren’t forcing everyone to play naked, and you will see the naked players playing at specific times, such as early morning or late afternoon.” All that seems to be the 1st April joke.
Source: Want to play golf in the nude? Head to Sweden, please
Nudists now welcome to Kalskog GK
2. A few years ago County Down Spectator newspaper from Northern Ireland published the April Fools’ Day joke of the same sort. The local newspaper “generated major distress amongst North Down residents with a story on the creation of a nudist camp in the area”. A nudist camp? Who would believe in that!
Source: April Fools missing from NI newspapers
3. In March it was impossible to miss the story of “naked woman, 27, rescued from cliffs after getting stuck trying to reach nudist beach”. “She had taken off her clothes before trying to clamber 450ft down to Black’s Beach, which lies in Torrey Pines State Park in San Diego, California.” Then she “found herself stranded on a ledge unable to climb back up or head down to the shoreline”. The lifeguard officer told NBC: ‘That’s true. She is naked.’ The photos were kindly provided by Fox 5 San Diego.
Source: Naked woman, 27, rescued from cliffs after getting stuck trying to reach nudist beach
Photos: Cliff Rescue (Warning: Nudity)
4. A software company has invited “a number of female web coders” to work in the nude. The UK company, Nude House, is “thought to be the only business in the world where none of the staff wear clothes”. It was said that the only reason they had advertised for female staff was because they “wanted the office to be less male-dominated”. The company claims to be “the first worldwide facility for naturists to earn substantial sums of money from work that incidentally provides them with the capability to work entirely without clothes”.
Source: Wanted: Nude female web coders
Nude house job: undress to impress
5. Travel Bite from New Zealand informs that “naturism (the preferred term for the clothing-optional philosophy and way of life) has been documented since the time of Alexander the Great”. I’ve got to know that their list of the “world’s top nudist spots” includes: 1. Brighton, UK (where in the winter “temperatures sink below 3°C”); 2. Dubrovnik, Croatia (“Croatia is home to a large population of naturists.”); 3. the party island of Ibiza, Spain; 4. Darwin, Australia (documented since 1943); 5. Aletsch Glacier, Switzerland (where “600 nudists gathered to be photographed by Spencer Tunick”); 6. Kirke Hyllinge, Denmark (“This Danish nudist retreat 50km from Copenhagen celebrated its 50th anniversary last year.”); 7. Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic (In Central and South America “you can even indulge in the naturist sport of ‘’canuding’’); 8. Solbakken, Denmark (where the INF World Congress took place in 1960); 9. the clothing-optional town Cap d’Agde, France; 10. “America’s oldest clothing-optional beach” San Gregorio, California, USA; 11. Fuerteventura, Canary Islands; 12. Kauai, Hawaii, USA; 13. New Jersey, USA (“California isn’t the only place you’ll find nude beaches in the US”); 14. Latvia (any explanation provided).
Source: Travel Bite – New Zealand, Australia, Pacific & World Travel Guides, Travel News, Hot Travel Deals, Flights, Accommodation
Top nudist beaches
Travel Guides Everybody get naked!
Have you ever attended a nudist beach or spent a week or two at a nudist camp? If the answer is yes, I congratulate you; now you are reckoned among those who carry out Strange Sexual Practices. At least, Hari Dutt Sharma, author of Strange Sexual Customs and Practices published in India (Pustak Mahal, 2007), is fully confident about that.
In Chapter 3 of his book entitled Strange Sexual Practices, without a moment’s hesitation, he places modern naturists alongside the Siberian Eskimos who, to this author’s knowledge, “exchange wives to confuse evil spirits” and unnamed New Guinea’s tribesmen and natives of New Hebrides, who “wear jewelry on their genitals”. One can have a great time reading about Masai women who “drink fermented cowdung to terminate unwanted pregnancies” and Norwegians who “share the same bed but avoid intercourse”. At last, on pages 36 and 37, just after those who “Exchange Sexual Partners” and before those who “Enjoy Sex in One-Night-Stand”, one finds the paragraphs about men and women who “Expose their Bodies for Health Reason” and “Don’t Mind Nudity”. Let me quote (the spelling of the original is preserved):
In many cultures nudity is regarded as an offence. But in a number of European and American countries, the position is different. They even arrange nudist camps where nudist can live and move about naked.
Participants in nude clubs feel that they can overcome their inhibitions and quickly get beyond superficialities if all physical defences are done away with.
Further on the author mentions “‘strip-tease’ and topless bars” and finally places the sign of equality between nudists and “a few backward tribes of Sudan and Brazil” where “complete nudity has been found”. The rest of the chapter is devoted mainly to “Strange Ritual Sex” and “Exchange of Wives” (I admit I didn’t read it through carefully to the end).
The reliability of the facts, gathered in the book written to amuse readers, raises doubts (at least some references should be provided). To be serious, in any case, I don’t welcome a flippant attitude towards peoples’ lifestyles and cultural backgrounds.
I think my place of residence obliges me to write a few words about local clothing optional beaches. So I’ve decided to explore how Kiev and its beaches are presented on the internet.
I’ve started from the Wikipedia article on Kiev:
Kiev is located on both sides of the Dnieper River, which flows south through the city towards the Black Sea…
The city boasts of 16 developed beaches (totalling 140 hectares) and 35 near-water recreational areas (covering more than 1000 hectares). Many are used for pleasure and recreation… Kiev has a continental humid climate… The warmest months are June, July, and August, with mean temperatures of 13.8 to 24.8 °C (57 to 77 °F)…”
N.B. Currently, we have at least 28 °C / 82 °F during the day.
List of social nudity places in Europe for recreation and List of Clothing Optional Beaches (World Beach List) include both Kiev naturist beaches identifing them as being either an official or unofficial clothing optional beach with common nude use,
When you go down the stairs of Hidropark metro station, turn right, walk through the food stalls and over the bridge. As you cross the bridge, on your left-hand side you will see a beach in the distance running parallel to the bridge. That’s your destination. Head left after the bridge. When you hit sand, you’ll see bunch of rowboats that will ferry you across to the beach for 5 hyr (look for the crowd standing by the water’s edge). Once you’re on the other side, the beach gets nuder the further north you walk. There’s a way to access the beach by bridge from Podil but it’s a couple of kilometers and requires a bike. There’s also a nude beach north of Hidropark in Obolon where I hear the water is cleaner. (Thorn Tree travel forum)
Despite the variety of sand river beaches, including two almost official nudist beaches, Kiev can hardly be called a great place for nude sunbathing. Local newspapers mention “cigarette butts in dirty sand”, voyeurs, and even crowds of drunken idiots. Foreign visitors write about women of various sizes and ages and tragic-comical in the Slavic soul (TheTravelrag.com).
1. Kiev – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2. BBC Weather | Kiev
3. Thorn Tree travel forum
4. List of social nudity places in Europe – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
5. Clothing Optional (aka Nude or Naturist) Beaches
Beach Info – Dovbychka
Beach Info – Obolon
6. Dnieper River in Kiev – Wikimedia Commons
7. Panoramio – Photo of Nudist beach area
8. The nude beach Kiev – Wikimapia
9. The Travel Rag – Ukrainian rotisserie: a day at the (nude) beach
10. Где в Киеве плыть хорошо | СЕГОДНЯ | Киев (in Russian)
Нудисты открыли пляжный сезон | Интернет-журнал «Наш Киев» (in Russian)
Naturist holidays shouldn’t start and end at the nudist beach. Browsing the German sites I’ve encountered a few interesting (and less common, at least for someone) options. I decided to make a note of them, just in case.
The meadows and roads where we ride are very isolated. Sometimes we meet walkers with their dogs, but we come across very favorably.
Rides take place from May to October. The tour may take up from a half to four hours.
(2) Nude Sailing
German company with its own charter yachts, own base and German skippers organizes one-week and ten-day trips through the Greek islands of the northern Sporades. Sailing experience is not necessary.
(3) Hiking in a birthday suit
Don’t you know that the origins of Nacktwanderns (Naked hiking) go back to the beginning of the last century, when the first pioneers dressed in a romantic understanding of nature started practicing nude walks? Nude hikers prefer small groups and less busy roads. Their website explains that
In random encounters with other hikers we meet occasionally with baffled, but consistently positive reactions.
(4) Naked bike ride to the Baltic sea
The Udesom island on the Baltic sea was mentioned twice in my blog (on the occasion of the so called ‘Nudist war‘, see links below). Those German nudist who prefer cycling rather than riding may participate in a Nacktradeltour (Naked bike tour) from Berlin to Usedom. The tour is scheduled to be held from July 24 to August 8, 2010.
Naked and Active – Naked Horse Riding
FKK – Segeln in Griechenland
Nacktwandern – Auch was für Dich?
Die Nackten werden jetzt aktiv von Rudi Stallein
FKK-Urlaub: Die Nackten verlassen die Reservate von Rudi Stallein
Border conflict about nudism