I think my place of residence obliges me to write a few words about local clothing optional beaches. So I’ve decided to explore how Kiev and its beaches are presented on the internet.
I’ve started from the Wikipedia article on Kiev:
Kiev is located on both sides of the Dnieper River, which flows south through the city towards the Black Sea…
The city boasts of 16 developed beaches (totalling 140 hectares) and 35 near-water recreational areas (covering more than 1000 hectares). Many are used for pleasure and recreation… Kiev has a continental humid climate… The warmest months are June, July, and August, with mean temperatures of 13.8 to 24.8 °C (57 to 77 °F)…”
N.B. Currently, we have at least 28 °C / 82 °F during the day.
List of social nudity places in Europe for recreation and List of Clothing Optional Beaches (World Beach List) include both Kiev naturist beaches identifing them as being either an official or unofficial clothing optional beach with common nude use,
- Dovbychka clothing-optional beach located on Trukhanov (Trukhaniv) Island in front of Hidropark (a recreation area also referred as Hydropark or Hydro Park). Coordinates: 50°27′2″N 30°34′8″E
- Obolon naturist beach located south of yacht club. Coordinates: 50°31′40″N 30°31′51″E
When you go down the stairs of Hidropark metro station, turn right, walk through the food stalls and over the bridge. As you cross the bridge, on your left-hand side you will see a beach in the distance running parallel to the bridge. That’s your destination. Head left after the bridge. When you hit sand, you’ll see bunch of rowboats that will ferry you across to the beach for 5 hyr (look for the crowd standing by the water’s edge). Once you’re on the other side, the beach gets nuder the further north you walk. There’s a way to access the beach by bridge from Podil but it’s a couple of kilometers and requires a bike. There’s also a nude beach north of Hidropark in Obolon where I hear the water is cleaner. (Thorn Tree travel forum)
Despite the variety of sand river beaches, including two almost official nudist beaches, Kiev can hardly be called a great place for nude sunbathing. Local newspapers mention “cigarette butts in dirty sand”, voyeurs, and even crowds of drunken idiots. Foreign visitors write about women of various sizes and ages and tragic-comical in the Slavic soul (TheTravelrag.com).
1. Kiev – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2. BBC Weather | Kiev
3. Thorn Tree travel forum
4. List of social nudity places in Europe – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
5. Clothing Optional (aka Nude or Naturist) Beaches
Beach Info – Dovbychka
Beach Info – Obolon
6. Dnieper River in Kiev – Wikimedia Commons
7. Panoramio – Photo of Nudist beach area
8. The nude beach Kiev – Wikimapia
9. The Travel Rag – Ukrainian rotisserie: a day at the (nude) beach
10. Где в Киеве плыть хорошо | СЕГОДНЯ | Киев (in Russian)
Нудисты открыли пляжный сезон | Интернет-журнал «Наш Киев» (in Russian)